Tips to Help Reduce Christmas Tree Mold in Your Home
Having a fresh Christmas tree in your home is a beautiful sight and makes your home smell so earthy. Unfortunately, a fresh Christmas tree can also cause issues in your home. We have gathered some tips to help your tree fresh and keep your home safe while having a live tree.
How Does A Christmas Tree Contain Mold?
Some trees contain microscopic mold spores that can trigger your allergies or asthma to act up. Sneezing, irritated throat, nasal congestion, and headaches are all signs of allergies. In homes with live Christmas trees, the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology (AAAAI) found that mold spore count is five times higher. The reason for a higher concentration of mold with live trees in your home is most likely due to poor indoor air quality, which can cause an increased rate of allergies and asthma. So if you begin to feel unwell after putting up your Christmas tree, that may be the cause of your increased allergy and asthma symptoms.
Tips To Minimize Christmas Tree Mold
To help improve Christmas tree mold and how it affects you, make sure you do the following:
- Keep an air cleaner or purifier in the room with the Christmas tree. This can help reduce Christmas tree mold and also the allergens associated with a live tree.
- While touching, transporting, or cleaning up the Christmas tree, make sure you wear an N95 mask, especially if you have allergies or asthma.
- Replace your air filters regularly to reduce allergens in your home. Make sure each air return vent has a HEPA filter, and replace them every 30 days. These are especially important in bedrooms and social areas such as a family or living room.
- Make sure all linens and blankets are washed regularly. Linens should be washed weekly and blankets every 2-4 weeks. Washing these items, especially in hot water, helps remove allergens.
- Regularly clean pine needles that have fallen off the tree. By sweeping fallen needles and removing them from your home, you reduce the chance of tracking those pine needles through the rest of your home.
- Schedule an air duct cleaning before putting up your Christmas tree. When you have your air ducts cleaned, you can help reduce the allergens in your home.
CONTACT 5 STAR CHARLESTON TODAY!
Our trustworthy and honest service technicians are ready to help take care of your home. Whether you need us for heating, air conditioning, insulation, or indoor air quality services, we will be there to help you until you are satisfied. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. Contact us today at 843-406-1700.